Please use caution when working with lead
High levels of lead in the body have been associated with serious health problems. There is disagreement within the scientific community about at what level exposure to lead is hazardous, but there is no disagreement that high levels of lead absorbed into the body is harmful. Lead poisoning is an accumulative effect caused by taking in more lead into the body than it can expel. Most adult exposure to lead has been through airborne emissions from auto fuel, through lead glazed china ware, and through drinking water carried through leaded pipes. Steps have been taken to reduce exposure through these means. The hobbyist tackle maker has minor exposure to lead hazards, but care must be exercised when working with lead just the same. Be sure to melt lead only in a well-ventilated area. Molten lead in minute amounts can vaporize and could be inhaled and in turn absorbed into the body. Air movement that is sufficient to carry away the smoke from an extinguished match is considered adequate ventilation. Run an exhaust fan or open a window to vent lead vapors to the outside. Wash hands after handling lead and raw lead products and before eating or smoking. Lead could be absorbed into the body through food handled with unwashed hands. Always observe these simple precautions when handling or melting lead.
PERSPECTIVE: Several industrial hygiene tests have been performed to determine how melting and molding lead in sinker and bullet casting rated with the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) permissible exposure levels for lead in the workplace. The results were well within the permissible OSHA standards, in fact the presence of airborne lead could not be detected in these tests. Conditions can and do vary. The risks associated with molding lead objects is left for you to determine. We make no warranty or other representations with respect to your safety in doing so.